Day 3: Putting the pieces back...




Not sure if it’s a conscious thing or not, but have you ever noticed how, who you once were, can become ‘deconstructed’ or ‘reconstructed’ over time?

It took the passing away of my beautiful mum, two years gone by, to suddenly realise that I no longer was the same person from 30 years ago. Time had moved so quickly, reshaping, repurposing and repositioning. Some of these evolutions were great, some not so, however, it also made me realise that some incredibly beautiful ‘things’ had been left to the side and were still available if only I could just stop...and pick the pieces back up.

Take, for a moment, the idea of JOY and PLEASURE...two intertwined states of being.
As a much younger person, I could quite emphatically say that I had much ‘joy’ in the idea of being physically ‘free’. Free to roam the streets on a bike that I had spent forever saving up for. Free to drive in my little old Holden Gemini wherever, whenever I pleased. Free to think, have an idea, and try it out. 
The idea of being free felt exhilarating.

A close relationship is that of pleasure. Pleasure in spending hours drawing or creating. Pleasure in redesigning a garden or interior. Pleasure in spending time with kids. Pleasure in the simple act of beach walking or bush walking, observing and sensing the rhythm and visual beauty that unfolds. Pleasure in ‘loving on’ people who truly need it.
Incredibly simple things to do.

But what happened? The pieces of life’s puzzle got swept under the couch, or put away in storage or simply dismissed as being irrelevant. What a shameful waste of beauty. What a slow way to deconstruct.

However, time is still here, and so am I! Time to go back and search for the joy and pleasure. To pick it back up. To try it back on. 

It feels good to find my way back, to pick up pieces and reconstruct what was good once more.

Jacq


Comments

Popular Posts